Monday 23 January 2012

DJ Koze Feature - Time Out Sydney, January 2012


DJ Koze interview

Clubs

DJs

The genre-defying German DJ makes his Australian debut for a Sydney Festival double bill
DJ Koze interview
First published on 24 Jan 2012. Updated on 24 Jan 2012.
Stefan Kozalla – better known as DJ Koze – has been a prominent figure in the music industry since his mid-nineties hip hop turntable skills led him to form Fischmob. Since then Kozalla has leant his skills to numerous electronic side projects – including the critically acclaimed International Pony and the abstract Adolf Noise – all the while focusing on the record spinning that started it all.

As part of Sydney Festival’s final weekend of shenanigans, DJ Koze will be hitting the decks alongside Norway’s Prins Thomas.

Speaking from his Hamburg home, amidst preparations for his first ever trip to Australia, Kozalla is keen to venture into unknown territory. “I’m curious about Australia. It always seemed so big that I thought I couldn’t do it, but now seems like the right time,” he says.

So what can we expect from his first DJ set in the country? “I’m keen to bring some warmth, some euphoria and some deepness, but without cliché,” he says. “A good combination of rhythm, harmonies and unexpected twists – that’s what I’m always trying to do.”

For the last few years Kozalla has been busy playing clubs and festivals across the globe, producing his own music and running of his own record label, Pampa. As such, no two days are the same for the in-demand DJ. “Normally because I’m travelling so much and meeting new people I don’t have a normal day," he explains. "It’s still really exciting every time. You could say that the most boring part of my life is actually the DJing because it’s the one part that is always the same,” he jokes.

But surely the near-constant flights back and forth take their toll eventually? “Of course,” he agrees. “It’s a really nice job in which I receive a lot of wonderful energy and love, but at the same time it can be really exhausting. It’s certainly not for everybody.”

All DJs have their idols and friends on the circuit, and Kozalla has no hesitation when it comes to naming his favourite peer. “I just came back from Japan and I really enjoyed playing back-to-back with [fellow German DJ] Lawrence who is a really good friend,” he answers. “The times we’ve played together have always been magical and have taken unexpected directions. I admire him as a DJ. Playing together with him is great and we want to do it more often.”

And what about places to play? “I really like Japan because the people are so different and the country is always such an overwhelming experience," says Kozalla. "I’m always in love when I’m in Japan. I’ve had good experiences at different clubs in San Francisco too. I find the second or third biggest city in a country is sometimes more interesting. In Germany, for example, I like many cities more than Berlin”

One would think playing to such wildly varrying crowds would make it hard to plan a set-list, but Kozalla takes this in his stride: “I always have an image of what things could be like. I think about who is playing before me and after me, how big the venue is, and how many people will be in the crowd. I then make myself a little plan, which normally totally changes, and then I have to react spontaneously. I like to have an idea for the first three or four songs but this sometimes changes when I listen to the DJ before me. And while I do prefer to have an opening planned to set the mood, I’m otherwise sensitive and try to follow the vibrations in the room.”

So what, then, are Kozalla's thoughts on Sydney? “I think the most impressive tracks to get a crowd going – to create a real euphoria – are the tracks that don’t fit into every set," he explains. "In my experience, the most remembered tracks of the night are those which could also potentially damage the set. Of course, there are some 'hits' which are well produced and always work well on the dancefloor, but these only work well for about three weeks and then you can’t play them anymore. It’s much more interesting to play a couple of tracks to set the mood and then play one song which is really outlandish.”

DJ Koze will appear at the Future Classic party at Keystone Festival Bar with Prins Thomas
By Stuart Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment